Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Key Lime Pie

With summer heading my way quickly, I've been thinking about cool treats I could make. This pie is sweet, cool and satisfying.

Ingredient list:
-1 cup of graham cracker crumbs
-3 tblsp of sugar
-5 tblsp of butter, melted
-3 eggs
-1/2 cup of lime juice (freshly squeezed preferred)
-14 oz. of sweetened condensed milk
-a pinch of cream of tartar
-a pinch of salt

1) Melt the butter.
2) Stir in the sugar.


3) Mix in the graham cracker crumbs,

4) Mix well.


5) Press into a 9 inch pie pan.

6) Bake at 325 degrees for 5 minutes. 

While that's baking, separate 2 eggs. Reserve the yolks in one bowl, and the whites in another.

7) Mix the yolks with the 3rd egg, lime juice and sweetened condensed milk. Whisk together.






8) Add the pinches of salt & Cream of tartar to the egg whites. Use an electric mixer to beat the whites until stiff. Then fold in the egg yolk mix.




This is the final mix:


9) Pour it all into the pie crust.


10) Bake for 20-25 minutes.



11) Let it cool. Then put it in the freezer for at least 4 hours.




Try it sometime during a warm summer evening. :)



4 comments:

  1. It looks yum christina :) I will make this one for my friends :)
    I liked how u wrote it step by step, very clearly :)
    Thanks :)
    If possible then plz post sth that doesn't require eggs,,m not fond of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Namita,

      Glad you like this recipe. I will look up some recipes that do not need eggs. Would you prefer a main dish type or dessert recipe?

      Delete
    2. :) Thanks :) A dessert recipe would be fab

      Delete
  2. Oh my lord this looks tasty! You make it look so simple, whenever I try to bake it just turn out to be pudding!
    Phlox

    ReplyDelete